Am I eligible for Student Loan Forgiveness
Am I eligible for Student Loan Forgiveness, Administrative Discharge, Or Do I Have A Defense To Repayment?
Student Loan Forgiveness:
If you qualify, you can have your Federal Student Loans forgiven under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. To qualify, you must meet these three requirements simultaneously:
- Work for a “qualified employer,” government agency or a non-profit;
- Your Federal Student Loan must be a Direct Loan; and
- Have 10 years of qualifying payments. (Your qualifying payment can be as low as $0 per month)
There are two different types of Administrative Discharge— Student-based and School-based.
For Student-based Administrative Discharge, you may qualify under these circumstances:
- Death of the Student; and
- Total and Permanent Disability.
For School-based Administrative Discharge, you may qualify under these circumstances:
- The School Closed (prior to your graduation and you cannot transfer the credits);
- False Certification:
- The student never graduated from high school;
- The student could not meet the State’s minimum job requirements;
- Unauthorized Signature, the borrower didn’t sign or authorize the loan;
- ID Theft;
- Unpaid Refund, the borrower never received a refund of a loan they were due.
Have A Defense To Repayment:
If you were misled through a material misrepresentation about the school.